Cronton Sixth Form College has created a Centre of Excellence for Advanced Level Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths courses. This Centre of Excellence has been developed through the recruitment of some of the best teaching staff in the country, the building of our new state of the art IDEA Centre and science labs, and the expansion of our extra-curricular activities that support applications to the most prestigious universities.
In the Centre of Excellence, students benefit from a wide range of activities including:
- Taking part in the Tomorrow’s Scientists or Professional Studies Programmes
- Taking part in regional and national competitions including Liverpool Young Analysts, the UK Senior Maths Challenge, the Institute of Materials Sixth Form Prize and Pi Wars!
- Taking part in prestigious national programmes such as the Nuffield Bursary, Silver Crest Award for a scientific research study, the Institute of Physics Grant Scheme and the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Inspiring lectures from industry experts including Professor Adam Scaife, Head of Climate Control at the Met Office and Dr Laura Randle from Liverpool John Moores University
- Work experience opportunities have been secured at Sci-Tech Daresbury, research laboratories, Whiston Hospital, and numerous medical dental and veterinary practices
- Trips to CERN (Switzerland), Jodrell Bank radio telescope observatory, Culham Science Centre for Experimental Fusion, Chester Zoo, The Natural History Museum and prestigious universities Specialise in our dedicated discrete Further Maths groups
- Students progress to competitive degrees and top universities including Cambridge, Oxford and Manchester and through the Sutton Trust to leading US universities amongst others.
The IDEA Centre
The IDEA Centre is a unique STEM facility which offers students innovative training facilities including an advanced manufacturing workshop, a digital and electronics suite, a metrology suite, a process control workshop, a health and fitness suite, a project management suite, meeting rooms, a 3D modelling suite and an Industry 4.0 suite which all prepare students for the Industry 4.0 trend of automation and data exchange in manufacturing technologies.
At Cronton Sixth Form College we are fortunate to be able to offer scholarships worth up to £2000 for our STEM course students. These are aimed at allowing you to attend competitions, take on extra curricular work and focus on your studies.