Prestigious Universities Programme
The Prestigious Universities Programme provides support, advice and training to prepare students for entry to Oxford, Cambridge and other prestigious universities. Students identified for the programme will benefit from opportunities to develop personally, professionally and academically by:
- Working above and beyond the A Level syllabus
- Developing cultural capital
- Being introduced to academic debating techniques
- Taking part in activities designed to develop their personal confidence
Sutton Trust USA
Rahim Raja is celebrating after successfully winning a place and a financial package to study at The University of Chicago after participating in the Sutton Trust US Programme. Last year Rahim was one of 150 students from across the UK selected for the 18-month programme which includes a week-long trip to the United States and support to apply to top American universities.
Rahim said, “I am extremely excited to start my degree at one of the top universities in the world. I think this opportunity will open many doors for me and allow me to succeed in my future career.”
How Does the Programme Work?
The Professional Studies Programme is delivered in addition to your A Level subjects and will form part of your timetable, providing up to four hours per week of targeted specialised activity. In some cases additional qualifications can be achieved, and some of this time will be spent on work placements or entering national competitions.
You do not need to put the Professional Studies Programme on your initial application form, but if you would like to be part of one of the programmes you will need to discuss this at your admissions interview. The admissions tutors will work with you to make the right A Level subject choices to access university degrees in these professional areas and make sure that the Professional Studies Programme is right for you.
Cronton Sixth Form College has formed partnerships with universities and educational organisations, both nationally and internationally. The aim of these partnerships is to give our students the very best chance of gaining places at Britain’s elite universities. Additionally, we aim to make sure that every student chooses the right university and the right degree, and has access to the maximum amount of financial support to which they are entitled. In the coming year the schemes and programmes available to Cronton’s PUP students will include:
- University of Oxford, Pembroke North Programme
- University of Cambridge Shadowing Scheme
- University of Cambridge Music Programme
- University of Liverpool Scholarship Programme
- Nuffield Research Placements
- The Bar Mock Trial, national debating competition
- The Sutton Trust UK and USA study programmes
- University of Oxford UNIQ Summer School
- Prestigious work experience in law firms, including Eversheds LLP and CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
- Royal Society Geography Summer School
- The European Youth Parliament
We encourage all of our students on this programme to study an independent research project, the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), for which increasing numbers of the UK’s top universities offer reduced entry grades. This year 87.5% of our students achieved A* – B on EPQ.