Prestigious Universities Programme
The Prestigious Universities Programme provides support, advice and training to prepare students for entry to Oxford, Cambridge and other prestigious universities. Students identified for the programme will benefit from opportunities to develop personally, professionally and academically by:
- Working above and beyond the A Level syllabus
- Developing cultural capital
- Being introduced to academic debating techniques
- Taking part in activities designed to develop their personal confidence
Sutton Trust USA
Rahim Raja is celebrating after successfully winning a place and a financial package to study at The University of Chicago after participating in the Sutton Trust US Programme. Last year Rahim was one of 150 students from across the UK selected for the 18-month programme which includes a week-long trip to the United States and support to apply to top American universities.
Rahim said, “I am extremely excited to start my degree at one of the top universities in the world. I think this opportunity will open many doors for me and allow me to succeed in my future career.”
How Does the Programme Work?
High achieving students are identified early in their first year to ensure they receive ongoing advice, guidance, support and development throughout their studies at Cronton. As high achievers, students are assigned to a specialised gifted and talented tutor group in which they will benefit from one-to-one tutoring with a specialist teacher who has extensive experience of mentoring exceptional students.
This enables us to provide tailored preparation for entrance examinations for Oxford, Cambridge and other elite institutions. Students are encouraged to participate in activities which complement their academic studies and develop their presentation skills. These include Bar Mock Trials, Debating Society and Science and Medical Society.
Parents are informed throughout of their son / daughter’s progress and to ensure that they can fully support them in their preparation for applications to prestigious universities.
Cronton Sixth Form College has formed partnerships with universities and educational organisations, both nationally and internationally. The aim of these partnerships is to give our students the very best chance of gaining places at Britain’s elite universities. Additionally, we aim to make sure that every student chooses the right university and the right degree, and has access to the maximum amount of financial support to which they are entitled. In the coming year the schemes and programmes available to Cronton’s PUP students will include:
- University of Oxford, Pembroke North Programme
- University of Cambridge Shadowing Scheme
- University of Cambridge Music Programme
- University of Liverpool Scholarship Programme
- Nuffield Research Placements
- The Bar Mock Trial, national debating competition
- The Sutton Trust UK and USA study programmes
- University of Oxford UNIQ Summer School
- Prestigious work experience in law firms, including Eversheds LLP and CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
- Royal Society Geography Summer School
- The European Youth Parliament
Finally, we also encourage all our Gifted and Talented students to study an independent research project, the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), for which increasing numbers of the UK’s top universities offer reduced entry grades.