What is the Prestigious Universities
The Prestigious Universities Programme provides support, skills and experiences to prepare students for entry to Oxbridge and other prestigious universities.
Students identified for the programme will benefit from opportunities to develop personally, professionally and academically by:
- Working above and beyond the A Level syllabus
- Developing cultural capital
- Introducing academic debating techniques
- Developing personal confidence
Prestigious Universities belonging to the Russell Group include:
|University of Birmingham||London School of Economics & Political Science|
|University of Bristol||University of Manchester|
|University of Cambridge||Newcastle University|
|Cardiff University||University of Nottingham|
|Durham University||University of Oxford|
|University of Edinburgh||Queen Mary, University of London|
|University of Exeter||Queen’s University Belfast|
|University of Glasgow||University of Sheffield|
|Imperial College London||University of Southampton|
|King’s College London||University College London|
|Lancaster University||University of Warwick|
|University of Leeds||University of York|
|University of Liverpool|
How Does the Programme Work?
High achieving students are identified early in their first year to ensure they receive ongoing advice, guidance, support and development throughout their studies at Cronton.
As high achievers, students are assigned to a specialist gifted and talented subject group. Students also benefit from one-to-one tutoring with a specialist tutor who has extensive experience of mentoring exceptional students. This enables us to provide tailored preparation for entrance examinations for Oxbridge and other elite institutions.
Students are encouraged to participate in activities which complement their academic studies and develop their presentation skills. These include Bar Mock Trials, Debating Society and Science and Medical Club.
Parents are informed throughout of their son / daughter’s progress and to ensure that they can fully support their son / daughter in their preparation for applications to prestigious universities.
The aim of these partnerships is to give our students the very best chance of gaining places at Britain’s elite universities. Additionally, we aim to make sure that every student chooses the right university and the right degree, and has access to the maximum amount of financial support to which they are entitled. Here are just a few examples of some of the Prestigious University Programme schemes and activities in which students have taken part over the last two years:
- University of Oxford, Pembroke North Programme
- University of Cambridge Shadowing Scheme
- University of Liverpool Scholarship Programme
- Nuffield Research Placements
- Bar Mock Trial, national debating competition
- The Sutton Trust UK and USA
- Lancaster Mentor Scheme
- Oxford University Summer School
- Prestigious work experience in law firms, including Eversheds LLP and CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
- University of Cambridge Music Programme
- Royal Society Geography Summer School
- Trips to Oxford, Cambridge and other prestigious universities including a residential visit in the summer
- Training and advice from admissions staff from the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge
- The opportunity to attend the Oxford Summer School to prepare applicants in the second year of A Level studies.
- Talks and advice from staff and students from the University of Liverpool, Manchester and Bristol
- Attend trips to open days at these universities
- Students will receive training from staff at prestigious universities on how to maximise chances of being offered a place on; The Liverpool Scholars Initiative, The University of Manchester Pathways to Law Programme, and the University of Lancaster Mentor Scheme
- Individual support in preparing UCAS applications and personal statements
- One to one coaching to prepare for university interviews
- Academic extension activities, research projects and work experience
- Preparation for aptitude testing for medical, dental, veterinary and law degrees
- The opportunity to undertake an Extended Project (the equivalent of an AS Level)
More information on our Prestigious University Schemes
“The aim of the Prestigious Universities Programme is to ensure that the college’s most talented students meet their academic potential. Competition for places at Britain’s elite universities has never been tougher; through the Prestigious Universities Programme we seek to maximise the chances that our students will be offered places at Oxford, Cambridge and other high achieving universities known as the Russell Group.”
“To do this students are placed in gifted and talented tutor groups and receive training on how to apply to elite institutions from visiting Oxbridge lecturers as well as admissions staff and professors from other top universities. Students are encouraged to join academic programmes such as the Pembroke North Internship and the Extended Project Qualification.”
“These schemes are designed both to familiarise students with the demands of academic study at the highest level to increase their chances of being accepted at the outstanding university of their choice. At its heart, the Prestigious Universities Programme seeks to recognise individual talent and provide an environment in which they can flourish. Students who take part in this programme leave Cronton Sixth Form to join their peers at the best universities in the country.”
– Dr. Luke MacMahon, Head of Prestigious Universities Programme at Cronton
What Does the Programme Include?
Students will be offered the opportunity to attend a range of events outside college including subject specific lectures, theatre trips and visits to art galleries and museums.