Personal and Academic Support
At Cronton Sixth Form College we want to make sure that you realise your full personal and academic potential. Enjoying College life and becoming fully involved will, we hope, make the experience one that you will have happy memories of for the rest of your life.
Matrix – Standard Award
Above all, we want you to be happy here and to achieve your full personal and academic potential. We have a great track record in supporting students and have been awarded the Matrix Excellence Award for outstanding guidance. We sincerely hope that the experience you have here, both academically and socially, will stay with you as happy memories for the rest of your life.
When you join Cronton Sixth Form you will be assigned a Personal Tutor who will be there alongside you every step of the way. They will guide you through College life and help you make decisions along the way with both personal and academic issues.
To achieve your full potential you may need individual attention. Therefore, in addition to the informal support, which you can expect in and out of the classroom, you will be provided with dedicated
Tutorials are for individuals and/or small groups. They allow tutors to meet the needs of students. Tutorials could be to clear up a topic which caused you and/or your peers a problem during a lesson, or used to review a piece of coursework; or agree an action plan to achieve or improve upon your grades.
Some careers and higher education courses demand that you have professional qualifications and experience in addition to your A levels. You can participate in a range of activities to help you develop an understanding of your chosen career, such as work experience, volunteering, career related enrichment and employability workshops.
We actively encourage work experience. It will provide you with a valuable addition to your CV or UCAS application, as well as enhancing your knowledge of your chosen career. All A Level students will take part in a week long work experience in their first year.
Career Planning and Next Steps Support
Depending upon your choice of course, your career aspirations will be as individual as you are. Throughout your time at College you will have the opportunity to undertake additional professional qualifications that will boost your CV and help you develop skills for your chosen career.
Parent – College Relationship
We believe that your parents or guardians will play a vital role in ensuring your success at the college and we are committed to maintaining a successful relationship with them. We will communicate with them on a regular basis and will always welcome enquires about your progress and or any concerns.
Parents Will Receive:
- Prompt contact in the event of poor attendance or progress, or to celebrate and acknowledge
excellent work and attainment
- Invitations to welcome and progress evenings during the year
- Progress reports twice a year
- Access to the new online parental portal
- A termly newsletter detailing all the events and news from Cronton Sixth Form
If you experience any difficulties coping with your college work or feel that you could do better with some extra help then we have a dedicated study support team to help you.
They can assist you with:
- Organising and planning your work
- Managing your time effectively
- Arranging for extra workshops in skills such as English, maths and IT
- Developing your study skills to maximise your potential
- Arranging specialist equipment e.g. software for students with dyslexia
- Helping you with language skills if English is not your first language
- Identifying and exploring your individual learning needs
- Exam Support
We have a team of tutors and support workers who work with students who have disabilities or learning difficulties/differences such as Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Asperger’s Syndrome.
Your welfare is our priority and we will help you to overcome any obstacles to your success, achievements and progression.
They can help you with:
- Career decisions and higher education routes
- Applying for universities / UCAS
- Job vacancies and employment opportunities
- Managing your finances
- Individual counselling if you have any personal difficulties
- Advice on financial assistance available